Find 3 or more studies on your topic: at least 2 must be Randomized Controlled Trials (RCTs). ALL must be some type of primary research study (case, cohort, etc.) You cannot use a topic if there is a Cochrane systematic review or meta-analysis unless your studies were published after the existing review.
P patient problem, population, or situation
I intervention, including an exposure, a diagnostic test, a prognostic factor, a treatment, a patient perception, and so forth.
C comparison intervention or exposure (also defined very broadly), if relevant.
O outcome(s) of interest, including a time horizon, if relevant.
Evidence Based Medicine Databases
Synthesized resources are a specialized form of secondary literature and focus on critical appraisal of a number of primary resources. They most commonly address clinical topics and appear as systematic reviews, meta-analyses, clinical practice guidelines, critically appraised topics, or decision analysis.
Dynamed, Clinical Evidence, and UpToDate are synthesized EBM tools and can not be used for this project.
- Cochrane LibraryContains high-quality, independent evidence that combines the results of the world's best medical research studies to inform healthcare decision-making.
- EBSCOhost WebSimultaneously search EBSCO resources including CINAHL, AltHealth, AMED and more by selecting them from the list of resources rather than linking to the individual resource.
- EmbaseEvidence based biomedical and pharmacological database. Provides full text indexing of drug, disease, and medical device data includes peer-reviewed literature, in-press publications and conference abstracts
- PubMedPubMed comprises more than 26 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books dating back to the 1950s with PCOM Full Text Finder to full text.
Core Drug Databases
- Lexicomp OnlineRobust drug information database of pharmacologic and clinical information. It includes AHFS, drug ID info, drug interactions, pediatric and geriatric databases, etc. Online version includes insurance plan coverage.
- ClinicalKey DrugsOver 3000 Drug Monographs provided by Gold Standard including indications, contraindications, dosage information, administration, adverse reactions and more.
- Clinical PharmacologyPoint-of-care drug information tool that includes reports on drug use comparisons, drug reactions, adverse reactions, and patient education.
- MICROMEDEX Healthcare SeriesFor academic and educational use only; not for clinical or commercial use at medical (clinic, hospital) or commercial (pharmacy, pharma) facilities. PCOM users are permitted to download summarized content to their mobile device for use in clinical or commercial settings. However, while in a medical facility, they must utilize the facility's subscription or forego access if there is no current subscription.
- Natural MedicinesProvides detailed and high quality, evidence-based monographs about complementary and alternative therapies. Formerly Natural Standards.
Register to receive weekly email alerts from trusted providers.
- Access Pharmacy EBM TopicsFeatured reviews of clinical trials, studies, and guidelines that examine the validity of approach, methodology, results, and recommendations
- ClinicalKey Patient EducationIncludes brief overview of clinical topics plus links from professional and government agencies. Major topics available in English and Spanish.